Saturday, December 15, 2007

Surprise Meringues

When I was growing up, I would make cookies for with my grandma at Christmas time. One cookie she always liked to make were called Surprise Meringues, basically meringue with chocolate chips and nuts added. They were crunchy and chewy.

While making another dessert tonight, I had some leftover meringue. So I added some chopped walnuts and a handful of bittersweet chocolate chips to the leftover meringue. I set the timer for 30 minutes instead of 25 minutes so they ended up being brown instead of white and they were more crunchy than chewy. But they were still good.

Surprise Meringues

2 egg whites
1/8 tsp cream of tartar
1/8 tsp salt
1/2 tsp vanilla
3/4 cup sugar
6 oz pkg semi-sweet or bittersweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup chopped nuts

Preheat oven to 300 F.
Line baking sheet with parchment or greased brown paper
Combing egg whites, cream of tartar, salt, and vanilla, beat until soft peaks form.
Gradually beat in sugar, beat until stiff and glossy.
Fold in chocolate and nuts
Drop by teaspoon onto baking sheet.
Bake for 25 minutes.

No comments: