Sunday, December 27, 2009

Lemon Bars

I had a hard time deciding what to make for dessert for Christmas dinner this year. I had lots of idea but I quickly started running out of time at Christmas approached. In the past I have made tarts, Buche de Noel, cakes etc. I had bought some Meyer lemons that I really needed to use so I finally settled on lemon bars as something I could put together easily but would also taste really good.

I used a recipe from alpineberry but I also included a half cup of creme fraiche to mimic a French lemon tart that is also very good. I cut them up into small squares and arranged them on a fancy plate. Along with a plate of gingerbread cookies, they disappeared. I was just going back to take a picture of the last two when I realized that they were all gone! Or almost all gone. Gina hadn't quite finished the last one.

Lemon Bars
(makes one 8-inch square pan)

Crust:
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
1/8 tsp salt
4 ounces (1 stick) unsalted butter, cold and cut into 1/2 inch pieces

Filling:
2 large eggs
1 cup superfine or bakers' sugar
2 tbsp all purpose flour
1/8 tsp salt
2 tsp finely grated lemon zest
1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/2 cup creme fraiche or sour cream

Preheat oven to 350F. Butter and line an 8-inch square pan with parchment paper.

To make crust:
Combine flour, confectioners' sugar and salt in the bowl of a food processor. Add butter and pulse until the mixture is pebbly. Press evenly into the bottom of your prepared pan. Bake until lightly golden, about 18-20 minutes. Set aside crust.

To make filling:
In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, sugar, flour and salt. Whisk in lemon zest, juice and creme fraiche until well combined. Pour over crust (it's okay if crust is still hot). Bake until filling is just set, about 15 to 18 minutes. Cool completely before serving. Dust with confectioners' sugar if desired.

No comments: