Monday, February 25, 2008

Bran Muffins with Blackberries


I recently made some bran muffins from the Farmgirl Fare blog. These muffins are very easy to make and they contain a LOT of bran: two cups of wheat bran and one cup of oat bran with a little bit of wheat flour to round it out. The recipe calls for half molasses and half honey as the sweetener though I used just honey. The bran is then held together with oil and yoghurt (I used low fat Greek yoghurt). I also added two large handfuls of frozen blackberries from Trader Joes.
Despite all the bran, these muffins are very moist and have a good flavor. They held up well over several days, though the second time I made them I think they were gone after two days. The recipe with the added blackberries made 12 large muffins and were great for a quick on the go breakfast.

1 comment:

nb said...

I just made some bran muffins for the first time last weekend, and my recipe called for molasses. They sound quite similar. I wish I'd thought to use fresh blackberries though, mmm! I did put in some fresh cranberries as the recipe called for, and though they'd be too big for my mini-muffins, but they were *great*. I'm not a fan of bran muffins usually, but molasses and yogurt and fresh fruit make it!