Saturday, May 10, 2008

Quick Strawberry Ice Cream


I don't remember how I came up with this recipe. I call it ice cream, though it is more like soft serve frozen yogurt and sometimes more like a smoothie. It is a great way to use up strawberries if you end up with a flat and don't use them all right away. I originally made this with just strawberries but it seemed like it needed a little more sweetness, so I started adding pineapple as well. You can also add a small amount of sugar or honey if you don't want to use pineapple. The first few times I made it it was just frozen strawberries and heavy cream, but I like the addition of yogurt. The kids really like this for dessert.

The measurements are all approximations:
1/2 cup diced pineapple (fresh or canned)
2 cups sliced frozen strawberries
1/2 cup low fat Greek yogurt
1/4 - 1/2 cup half and half

In a food processor, mix pineapple and frozen strawberries until combined. Add Greek yoghurt and process for 30 sec or so. Then with the food processor running, slowly pour in half and half until the mixture looks smooth but still very thick. If you add too much half and half, it ends up more like a smoothie, but still good. Serve right away as it melts quickly.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I'm Alisha from Wowzio, and I'm excited to tell you about our new widget platform that helps bloggers increase readership and create more engaged users. I wanted to reach out to you to ask for your feedback on these widgets (feel free to also install them on your blog, if you feel they are a good fit). You can check out widgets customized for your blog here:

Wowzio Widgets for your blog

I'm sorry for leaving this message via a comment, it's not at all our intent to spam you ( which is why i'm leaving this comment on an older post and you can always remove this comment ). Again, we would love to hear your feedback.

Thanks,
Alisha Wright
alisha.wright1@gmail.com